banter on area arts and culture

22 June 2006

Situational Exhaustion, or, I've been to lazy to post.

Holy long time since a post... sorry.

One thing I've noticed about the Grand Cities and their lack of co-operation is the scheduling of events. For instance - I don't think I've slept in three weeks. Sweeney Todd rehearsals every night, work every day, throw three 20 hour days of Art Fest in the middle (plus my 60 year old parents nervous breakdown inspired retirement and subsequent move to Fargo from their life long home), and you've got the recipe for my life. Not that I wasn't okay with it, but it did give me a canker sore. I hate canker sores. I've always hated them.

A prime example of this phenomenon (the scheduling, not my canker sore - it's time for me to move past that) was December 19 of last year. There were 18 different events going on. The weekend before we were nothing more than frozen terra firma. We need to do a better job of working together to make sure we have ample opportunities all the time. Hopefully, CulturePulse will help in that.

I'm pleased with the past couple of weeks, however. Art Fest saw somewhere between 43,000 and 45,000 people - and we had great reviews from artists, locals, food venders and entertainment. The weather cooperated, and all was right with the world. My golf cart worked well, too.

Sweeney Todd opened to critical success. Attendance was wonderful, though could have been more. Some of the reviews were: Delicious!; Disturbingly Well Done; Wonderful, Best Since The Original Cast!; and, Strong Showing from Talented Cast! You can read all the reviews on CulturePulse.org. Shameless Plug Alert: Make sure to review each show/concert/exhibit/etc. that you attend in Grand Forks - it's only through critical reviews that we as a community can improve.

All in all, an exhausting couple of weeks for many performers in Grand Forks... but there's more to come, I'm sure...

I'll try to post more. I promise.

Cheers,
Ben :: Team CulturePulse

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home