banter on area arts and culture

11 August 2006

Delicious, or, This One's for You, Megan

So a week has gone by... well, more like 9 days, and all without a post. It's amazing to me that I expect people to read this, and then never post. I actually got scolded by Cabaret's Frau Schneider for my lack of posting, though she also scolded me for my overuse of the word delicious...

As Cabaret draws to a close (tonight's the last night - so get out and see it) I am reminded why I love living in Grand Forks. Don't get me wrong, I'm as bitter as the next person about things that go on here, but I feel a sense of community.

It's been an insane two weeks. The nonprofit community was dealt a potential blow (though the other side off the issue will not see it this way) on Monday with the possible loss of $200,000. Masking it in an act of tax relief, this seems to me to be much more about holding the nonprofit community hostage. What does this translate into? (If you are lost at this point, here's the article, the follow up, and here's Tu-Uyen's blog about it)

As a theoretic part of the nonprofit community, whose stakeholders belong as well, and a part of the Northern Valley Nonprofits steering committee, I've been a fly on the wall through this process. The nonprofits have tried direct appeals, education, advocacy, and the like. We have failed to get our message across. Some members of the council seem to believe the nonprofit community harnesses a sense of entitlement, when in fact, I don't think that is the case. The city desires that nonprofits run as businesses, and many of them do, but consider the client base, and the opportunity for earned or sustainable income. It just isn't there.

We take $200,000 away from the nonprofit community and provide it back in the way of low-income housing (whether that is hidden in tax relief, et al). However, I'd be interested in tossing out the percentage of social service clientele that do not actually own homes. When you get right down to it, Earl Beal was correct. The nonprofit social services community provides an obligatory service to the city and county, and should be supported. When the client base is living at sub-poverty lines, your ability to charge for services goes, and rightfully so, right out the window. Without these services, a community fails to be "healthy" and fails to "function" in an adequate fashion.

I've never understood this relationship between the council (albeit the previous one) and the nonprofit sector. In many ways, the council seemed to want to take a parental role for the nonprofits, in almost a micromanigerial fashion. I do not think this attitude is malicious at all, but perhaps it is this air of benevolence that causes some of the tension. Take the personalities out of the equation, and what it boils down to is this: Social service nonprofits engage our communities and give back to them the sorts of social capital that allows problems to be solved, visions to be created, and transformations to occur. Period.

They deserve support. They deserve this funds that were set aside for them.

Again, don't get me wrong. I've had good dealings with the city. I've had great dealings with Council President Gershman. Here is an area where we do not see eye to eye.

My larger concern is how this bleeds over to the arts community. Unfortunately we live in a society, in a region, where the community may not consciously realize the value the arts bring. We live in a region where arts are not considered an economic indicator, though nationally, they are one of the most important. We live in a community where people do not understand the difference between SPA and Crimson Creek (one being high school, one being professional...) As the community focus on art change from that of education to one of social positioning, we will need to force a paradigm shift in this respect.

Statistically speaking, the arts are a primary force for relocation of a quality workforce (so are appropriate and strong social service offerings). The arts are one of the strongest catalysts for urban growth, and in the case of physical arts structures, urban development. The arts are important for social dialogue and political health. Especially so in Grand Forks. (For more information, I encourage you to read "Themes on Arts Participation in Grand Forks and Region" or the actual "Arts Participation Research")

The city currently gives money to the North Valley Arts Council, which is then re-granted to the community. This support is amazingly appreciated. However, with the position the city has taken on the nonprofits, I can't help but wonder how secure that potential funding is. Without the support of our city, our arts community would cease. As we have a very small amount of philanthropic giving to the arts, a severe lack of foundations, and a business community that is tapped is so many other ways, the lack of funding for programs is shocking, and a bit scary. At this point, is it then entitlement that we feel, or is it, rather, a sense of urgency.

I know that just like any other issue the council faces, there are going to be people on both side. I realize that. I understand that not everyone feels the arts should be supported. That's fine. It's nice to hear people that do, though. Last week, one of the surveys returned after Cabaret said "As a tax payer, I'd like to see more city money put into endeavors such as Crimson Creek." That is nice to hear. Though it wouldn't be a popular idea, it's good to know that what we do is appreciated.

Look for very cool things to come from the arts community in the next year. Look for a heightened sense of collaboration. Look to the future with idealism. Though I'm being intentionally vague, there is something a brewin', and I think it's going to be cool.

Until then, lets plug forward, and hope for the best. After all, our lives not determined by what happens to us, but by how we react to what happens. Our lives are not determined by what life brings to us, but by the attitude we bring to life. Positive attitude causes a chain reaction of positive thoughts, events, and outcomes. It is a catalyst, a spark that creates extraordinary results. (anonymous)

Peace::Ben::Team CulturePulse

4 Comments:

Blogger Benjamin Klipfel said...

Semireg... good question and something that I have faced a lot. As we gander around the arts community we find a lot of ridiculously talented people making sub-par salaries and yet choosing to stay and work to make a difference. I won't lie - at least subconsciously, I enjoy living here because I can be uberinvolved. But I have lived in those places where the pond is quite a bit larger. Ultimately, what it came down to it, the decision to leave is a multi-layered one. I don't consider GF a hobby - I truly enjoy living here. What is lacking is the salaries to support our artists. As we move towards that direction, people will find they are able to make a living here. For now, though, I find a lot of artists that have to supplement their incomes with other employment. I am fortunate that I make a fair living doing what I love, but not all are that way.

If the decision to stay or leave comes up, and you can put finances aside, I think you'll find that being part of the solution and making our community stronger is quite rewarding.

3:15 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Without the support of our city, our arts community would cease."

Those who want the arts, and want city money to subvent them, would tear their hair and gnash their teeth about it. Those who get their entertainment elsewhere would say, "Good!" Why should the city contribute to an entertainment vehicle serving a relative view? Should it not then put down bucks to bring in the WWE for people who see that as entertainment? I personally like the arts; I just feel I should be expected to pay for it if I want it.

1:30 PM

 
Blogger Ron Evans said...

A Culture Pulse Blog? How cool! We've been knocking around the idea for something like this in Silicon Valley. We should talk - you've done an awesome job with this. I just started reading it - do you mention what you're doing with Cabaret? I'll read on. Let's pow-wow next week - you available?

8:03 PM

 
Blogger Benjamin Klipfel said...

yes, well, it may be time to update! yeah, I've got time next week - shoot me an e-mail and we'll connect.

8:39 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home