banter on area arts and culture

25 September 2006

What's that Noise, or, Listening to the Call in the Conversations and Circumstances of Daily Life.

Long title, I know. Perhaps a bit wordy. Perhaps a bit theo-babble... but there it is.

Outside the realm of politics and religion, you don't hear about "the call" very often, but it is something that exists in our very lives and the fabric of who we are.

The call can be a variety of things. Some people consider it a burden on their hearts, or an act of consciousness. Some people consider it the inescapable desire to serve (think nonprofits here, or people that give philanthropically). Some people consider the burden to be the cosmic balance where things fall right in to place - whether its coincidence or not.

In many ways, my decision to move to Grand Forks was the basis of a call. From the day I read the job posting in the Herald, I lost the ability to sleep... I knew I must make this job mine at all cost. Even if that cost was working in food service at Moorhead State for 6 weeks.

As we think about the state of the arts and their play on the community; as we listen to the needs of the community that we have the capability to serve, I ask you to consider your personal call in the conversations and circumstances of daily life.

How much of what goes on around us can we impact? How much of our talents go to waste because we fail to put them into practice. I've blogged about James's philosophy of living each day to do something extraordinary. I'm sure I've mentioned my desire to positively impact the lives of those around me. This weekend, I met a wonderful man named Chase who's vision is to provide voices to the voiceless. In fact, the exact mission statement is: Giving a voice to those silenced by society. Wanting to expose worldly injustice fuels this driving desire. Read about, learn from and be inspired by the people I meet, and the experiences I am having."

After recovering from the fact that this individual is not a unicorn, I stood in humble reverence when I met him, having known how he's put this ideology into practice.

When something like that happens, those random, almost cosmic meetings, you know there is greater purpose. If we don't watch out, they can slip us by, unless we watch for our call in the conversations and circumstances of daily life.

What are your passions? What drives you? Where do you find your joy? Is it in your job? Is it your ability to give? Is it in the knowledge that you are financially stable?

In most major religions, when they are not trying to destroy the world and each other, a tenant of happiness is service. Living a life of service to others is a way to answer the calls that we encounter daily, and respond.

James constantly climbs his soap box and rattles about people refusing to perceive what's going on around them. I don't mean in a Miss Cleo (who just came out as a lesbian) faux-precog fashion... I mean, people tend to have a complete lack of empathy for their brothers and sisters.

Believing in the confines of social construct, he believes that most people spend life unhappy, because they have not lived to their full potential, and will take security over the joy of answering an employment call that reflects the circumstances of daily life.

The question itself is profound. The answers, however personal, will blow your mind.

I encourage you to listen for that call, and get involved. Life is best when we work together for the common good.

Listen to the calling the conversations and circumstances of daily life. Can you hear it?

Peace::Ben::Team Culture Pulse

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home